Use these clues to identify a dozen famous ships. The answers appear on below.
1. Built to showcase mankind’s technological brilliance, what British luxury liner struck an iceberg In the North Atlantic and sank on her maiden voyage in 1912, killing over 1,500 people?
2. What was the name of the English two-masted sloop that carried Charles Darwin on his historic expedition in 1831?
3. What small, slow-paced Spanish ship transported Christopher Columbus to the New World in 1492?
4. Known as “Old Ironsides,” what ship is still afloat after 213 years and serves as a museum in Boston, Massachusetts?
5. Popularly known as “Mighty Mo,” what ship hosted the surrender ceremony of Japan in Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945?
6. What Cunard luxury passenger liner was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat on May 7, 1915?
7. What British ship transported an English group of families, now known as the Pilgrims, from England to America in 1620?
8. Nearly 1,000 men are entombed in which vessel that is now a national cemetery?
9. What U.S. battleship mysteriously exploded and sank in the harbor of Havana, Cuba, in 1898?
10. What small merchant ship built by the Royal British Navy was made famous by a mutiny against Captain Bligh?
11. During the Civil War, which two ships took part in the Battle of Hampton Roads, known as the first clash between ironclad warships?
12. This patrol torpedo boat was last commanded by Lieutenant JG John Kennedy when it was rammed and sunk by a Japanese destroyer.
1. RMS Titanic
2. HMS Beagle
3. Santa Maria
4. USS Constitution
5. USS Missouri
6. RMS Lusitania
8. USS Arizona
9. USS Maine
10. HMS Bounty
11. USS Monitor and Merrimack (CSS Virginia)