the active age
More senior centers across the area are planning to reopen this month, although plans for exactly what that will look like were still being finalized as The Active Age went to press.
In Wichita, four centers – Downtown, Linwood Park, Orchard Park and Northeast – are scheduled to reopen July 13.
A news release from Senior Services, Inc., which operates the centers, said the organization is “working hard on coming up with fun social and educational activities” while still adhering to coronavirus safety precautions.
Here are some protocols the centers will follow:
• If you are sick or have been around anyone sick, you are asked to stay home.
• Temperature and a questionnaire will be taken upon arrival.
• Maintain physical distance of six feet or more.
• Masks will be required for all activities besides exercise classes
• Some sites will have sanitation stations, others will have individual pumps for hand sanitizing.
• You will be required to have your membership card to sign in – if you do not have or cannot find your current one, a new one will be issued to you for free. After the first one is re-issued, a $3 fee will be charged for any additional ones
• Upon your first arrival you will be required to fill out a new demographic sheet with updated phone numbers, addresses and emergency contacts to make sure your information is current.
• Each activity space will be marked for room occupancy defined by the regulations that Sedgwick County has put into place.
• Calling to reserve your spot will be required for all activities to insure that required room capacity regulations are met.
Staff members will wear face shields or masks when interacting with patrons. Activities and their times may change. Currently, for instance, the centers are not planning to allow cards, dominoes, billiards, evening activities, indoor pickleball or foot care at this time, although they will be incorporated later.
The centers are not providing food and drink. Patrons can bring their own drink with lid and food, but are asked not to share it.
For more information, see the calendar of events on page 21.
the active age