The Wichita Public Library is presenting a series of programs this month to highlight Black History Month. The free programs take place form 12:30-1:30 p.m. at the Advanced Learning Library, 711 W. 2nd St.
The schedule includes:
· February 8: The Wichita African American Business History Project
· February 15: African American Journalism
· February 22: Black Aviators
· February 29: Kansas African American Trailblazers Who Shaped Our History
More information about each program can be found at wichitalibrary.org/events.
In addition to this series, the library’s subscription to Kanopy, a movie streaming service, gives cardholders access to a special collection of films related to the black experience. They can be found at www.kanopy.com/category/40898.
Exploration Place is once again celebrating Black History Month with a large-scale outdoor display.
In collaboration with The Kansas African American Museum, Exploration Place is once again
Each night during February, Exploration Place will honor African-American scientists by projecting giant portraits onto the side of its building. The displays are viewable from the path along the Arkansas River and also from inside Exploration Place on Thursday nights, when the museum is open until 8 p.m. Admission is not required to view the display from the Exploration Place promenade. The project is a collaboration with The Kansas African American Museum.
Scientists to be honored through the remainder of February are:
· Week 2: Jedidah Isler, an astrophysicist and an advocate for diversity in STEM who works for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy.
· Week 3: Ed Dwight, a military test pilot who was selected as an astronaut trainee in the 1960s and since has had a prolific career as a sculptor.
· Week 4: Alice Ball (1892 – 1916), a chemist who developed a significant treatment for leprosy, a highly stigmatized disease during her lifetime.
“We’ve had great community feedback on this display over the past three years,” said Adam Smith, Exploration Place President and CEO.