By Monica Cissell
Three of Wichita’s favorite locations will host the 34th annual Senior Expo on Sept. 26: Botanica, the Wichita Art Museum and the Advanced Learning Library.
Organized by the Central Plains Area Agency on Aging (CPAAA), the free event provides seniors and caregivers with valuable information, free health screenings, new opportunities and unique and useful items and more.
“Senior Expo is the biggest tradeshow in the state of Kansas geared toward adults 55+ and caregivers with a focus on their needs and interests,” said Annette Graham, director of CPAAA. “This is a must-see event that highlights resources, interesting local, state and national vendors, along with opportunities and products for this growing population.”
“Central Plains Area Agency on Aging is proud to offer Senior Expo to the community along with the support and resources we can provide every day,” she added. “Life can get challenging and CPAAA can help.”
More than 120 exhibitors will distribute resources, conduct hands-on demonstrations, and offer information for attendees. A variety of free health screenings and health information will be provided in the health screening location at the Advanced Learning Library on a first come, first served basis.
At Senior Expo you’ll find:
• Lunch at all locations – $7.00
• Free parking
• Free shuttle between all locations
• Complimentary admission at all sites
• Entertainment, music and DJ
• “Casino Nights” fashion show, 1pm, at Botanica’s Lotus Room
• Information on programs and resources
• Sales and unique gifts
• Entertaining booths – Say Cheez photo booth and the Family Feud game show
• Interactive booths (personal safety, recumbent trikes, diabetes education
• Mini Live and Learn Workshops at the Advanced Learning Library, Focus on Safety at Wichita Art Museum, including a fraud and scam presentation and much more.
Health tips, screenings and other services include:
• Computerized Spinal Screenings
• Dental Screenings
• Depression Screenings
• Diabetes Risk Test
• Foot Health Screening and
• Complimentary Massages
• Vaccinations available include:
• Flu shots – Medicare Part B
• Pneumonia shots –Medicare Part
• (Medicare card required for processing. Cash or check will be accepted if you do not have Medicare.)
The Expo takes place from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26 at Botanica, The Wichita Gardens, 701 N. Amidon; the Advanced Learning Library, 711 West 2nd St. N.; and the Wichita Art Museum, 1400 West Museum Blvd.. Entrance to Senior Expo and admission to the three sites is complimentary to anyone age 55 and older and to caregivers of all ages.
Senior Expo participants have several parking options. It is recommended that attendees use the overflow parking lot across from Wichita Art Museum. Transportation sponsored by Humana will be provided between the Senior Expo sites and the overflow parking lot. Transportation services begin at 8:30am and end at 3:30pm. The Party Bus will provide free transportation along with Sedgwick County Department on Aging’s accessible bus for your convenience. In order to cut down on traffic congestion the free transportation is highly recommended. There are only a few handicapped parking designated spaces at each venue, so please plan accordingly.
Monica Cissell is Director of Information and Community Services for the Central Plains Area Agency on Aging.